Silicon Valley Power, the municipal utility of the City of Santa Clara, California, established a fiber optic enterprise in 2000 when it constructed a 4-ring fiber optic infrastructure to provide more efficient and reliable communications. Concurrently, SVP added excess capacity that allowed the city to lease dark fiber to other communication networks within the high-tech heartland that is Silicon Valley.
- Program management of the dark fiber cable network operations, and general maintenance and coordination of dark fiber cable network planning and development
- On-call system maintenance oversight
- General engineering services, as requested by SVP
- GIS database and systems records maintenance
- Underground service alert response and locating
- Fiber optic cable mechanical and fusion splicing